News from Falcon Student Media

The Perch

News from Falcon Student Media

The Perch

News from Falcon Student Media

The Perch

Brazilian students create club to raise funds, awareness

One of the many new clubs this year is Brazil with an S. Run by three Brazilian juniors, the purpose of this club is to introduce their culture to the student body.

“I believe it’s very important to honor your country and your roots, therefore I saw this as an opportunity to break the stereotype people have from Brazil and instead offer them an opportunity to contribute to our community,” junior and club president Manuela Blatt said.

Sophomore Larissa Bastos, who is Brazilian, learned about the club during Falcon Fest a few weeks ago and then discovered some of her friends were joining too.

“I want to show Palmer Trinity School who Brazil really is,” Bastos said. “I feel like not many people know the true Brazil, and just know the basic knowledge.”

Bastos encouraged her friend, Mariana Eboli, another Brazilian student, to join too.

“I hope we can teach the students about our culture and raise awareness for the issues, like poverty and high crime rates happening in Brazil right now,” Eboli said.

According to Blatt, the members are planning various fundraising events and other community service opportunities to help Brazilian communities and schools. They also have bigger goals for PTS.

“Our long-term goal is to try to implement Portuguese as a language in Palmer Trinity in the following years and keep the club as a place where Brazilians and foreign students can join in the future,” Blatt said. “Maybe [we can even propose] a trip to Brazil for the students [to be] more engaged and contribute more to the club.”